E-2 Non Immigrant Visas

E Visas (Treaty Trader and Treaty Investor Visas)

We have used the E visa to help many foreign nationals open businesses throughout the United States. If you are from a country that has the proper investment treaty with the U.S. you may be eligible to apply for an E visa. This is one of the best visas to have if you want to come to the United States and run your own company, but you do not have a company in your own country or do not want to continue running your company in your own country.

In his past career with the U.S. Department of Commerce in Washington, D.C., Mr. Goldstein worked for five years as an Attorney-Advisor in the Office of the Chief Counsel for International Trade, one of the U.S. Government offices charged with the responsibility to negotiate such treaties.

Foreign nationals of countries with such a treaty with the U.S. can invest in a business or engage in international trade under either an E-1 (Treaty Trader) or an E-2 (Treaty Investor) visa. See this page for a list of nations that have investment treaties with the U.S. for E Visa purposes.

Under the E-1 visa, foreign nationals can enter the U.S. to engage in substantial trade of goods, services, or technology with their country. An E-1 Treaty Trader must be an executive or manager or hold a job requiring skills essential to the employer, and the company must be majority-owned by nationals of the treaty country. This is a great business visa if most of your business is between the United States and your own country.
The E-2 visa allows investors who are nationals of treaty countries to remain in the U.S. to develop, direct, and oversee business that involves investing substantial sums of money in an active business in the U.S. The E-2 visa includes managers, executives, and essentially skilled employees from treaty countries. We use this visa frequently to help our clients buy stores, restaurants, and other qualifying businesses all across the United States. This is one of the best visas if you have funds to start your own business in the United States, and it allows your immediate family all to come to the United States with visas as well.

*Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may accompany the principal holder of an E visa. An E visa holder’s spouse can apply for an Employment Authorization Document after entry to the United States.